Friday, April 27, 2007

The "Soak" Zone

I went to Sea World with my son on a field trip yesterday. It was quite fun - although I can't recall how many times we have been there through the years. With annual passes there for a while, we went quite often ... however, in all of those trips, we never sat real close to the front of Shamu Stadium. 52 degree salt water cascading on me from a behemouth whale is not my best thoughts for the day!!

But, this time, I relented. As the "adult" in the midst of several 2nd graders, I found it my duty to supervise. I convinced them that the 5th row up would offer sufficient water coverage and they agreed. If you have been in Shamu Stadium, then you know that the lower rows are very clearly labeled "Soak Zone." NOT "splash zone" - but "SOAK ZONE." There is little doubt what WILL HAPPEN! The boys were eager with anticipation.

While we waited, another group came in - a group of middle school students (their shirts were a dead give away!) They sat in the first and second rows of the stadium ... in the clearly marked SOAK ZONE. And really, you can't be unprepared for the "Soaking" because the tell-tale sign is when the Cast begins their "Shamu - Shamu" chant and wave their arms in the air in Orca-tale like fashion. --- The first wave of water -- or should I say --- the first tsunami of water landed squarely ... if not perfectly ... on the first two rows. Four or five of the girls in that group were visibly (and unrepeatable audibly) upset. In fact, upset is not a sufficient word for what they were.

Yet, I had to marvel at their furious behavior because ALL Warning Signs - even Audible Warnings - were in place CLEARLY telling them ... they would be soaked.

I also continually marvel at those who are sitting in the Church Soak Zone! All of the signs are there ... If I go and prepare a place ... I will come back ----- no one comes to the Father except through Me ----- this is how they will know you are My disciples, if you love one another ---- do unto others as you would have done unto you.

Yes, all the signs are there ...

...yet I have a feeling when the day comes that the tsunami of truth that those signs represent casts down upon us, there will be those who are going to react as though they had no idea that wave was coming ...

Think about that!!
See ya Sunday!

No comments: