Monday, December 22, 2008

Family Christmas Letter

Well ... it has been a while since I've posted anything new, so I thought I would simply share with you my Family Christmas letter ... Enjoy and Merry Christmas.

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

Well, here we are at the end of another year. It always amazes me how quickly a year passes and this was quite a year. In fact, I really have not caught that “Christmas Spirit” this year. However, the joy and the “return to normalcy” that I think my children are looking for needs to happen! So … with that, let’s do a quick recap of 2008.

For some … if not many or all … of you , much of what you will discover on this page is not new to you. 2008 began unlike many other years – the Tennessee Volunteers actually won their bowl game!!! Chris and I witnessed an incredible game from just 10 rows up in the end zone. As January proceeded, Caitlyn continued her Barbizon training. Denise continued teaching. I continued preaching. Nothing too out of the ordinary.

I suppose that is why God decided I needed a little excitement in life. Too make a REALLY LONG story short … things happened at First Christian Church of Inverness that were not admirable to God’s leading. (Any time you reduce “the lost” to “giving units” …) Anyway, after many left FCCI intending to simply worship elsewhere, the thought occurred to them … ‘why worship somewhere else separately when we could worship somewhere else together?’ And so, on May 14, a new church was born. A small group of 14 quickly grew to 25 then to 30 then to 40 then to … well, you get the idea. Through the “wise council” of my lovely bride and the continued knocks to the head that God was presenting to me nearly every day, I was approached by a good friend who simply responded to my question “what can I do to help?” with the words … “You can come and be our preacher!”

So, on Father’s Day, I concluded my ministry with FCCI and a month later began a ministry with Redemption Christian Church. We’re still in the same general area … in fact, I think RCC is a little closer to us! But, the way God is blessing this group is tremendous.

Well, enough about me! Caitlyn graduated from Barbizon School of modeling and is well on her way! She is going to Los Angeles in January for the International Modeling and Talent Association show and is also trying to get her foot in the door with Premiere Modeling in Ocala. (Not that I’m a proud Dad or anything!!!)

Chris is … well … he’s 9! Nuf said!!! Chris is actually doing very well … so well, in fact, that he would really like to be home schooled. He is typically ahead of nearly everyone in his class and he really wants to study some special things in the sciences and math. So … possibly in a year or so – middle school time – we may consent and start home schooling him.

Cassie and Jonathan are doing well. He is back in Iraq for a second tour of duty … hopefully his last! He’s only supposed to be there 10-12 months. Cassie is somewhat jobless right now! She is preparing to go back to school in January and will graduate in May with her A.A. in Nursing degree. She’s planning to pursue a P.A. degree and can get a good portion of it done while Jonathan’s is away.

Courtney and Daniel are doing well also. Both are still at Florida Christian College, although Daniel will graduate soon (I think!) and Courtney still has some time to go on her Elementary Education Degree but is really enjoying it (or so it appears!) Both are also doing really well at Universal. (I still think they’ll end up owning the place some day!)

That’s the ‘good’ update. There have been other things this year that have been challenging and I suppose that is why I’ve been a little tardy in this Christmas letter. In August, Mom went home to be with the Lord. For someone that never went to a doctor and seemed in relatively good health, her last days came very quickly. It’s been different not getting a card from her on our anniversary and Thanksgiving and now Christmas, and, while I know that death is a part of life … “a time to live and a time to die” … it is still a part of life I don’t like too much. Watching many of my childhood memories carted off by others at an Estate Sale and seeing the only home I ever have known simply sold off as a “part of the estate” is a memory I didn’t expect to make this year. Thankfully, Debby and Steve have really stepped in to handle the “legal” side of things that I don’t fully understand! Mom … in spite of being VERY meticulous in some things … never completed the will she had always talked about. So … the State of Florida VERY GRACIOUSLY stepped in to help!!

In October, Jonathan began his next tour to Iraq by first going to Texas and then flying to Kuwait the week before Thanksgiving. Then, just as soon as he arrived, we learned that his grandfather … one whom he had spent many a summer … passed away. Thankfully, the army allowed him an emergency leave and he was able to be home for the funeral.

And then, while we were in Georgia for Thanksgiving, my little buddy … Fezzik … went to Doggie Heaven … if there is a such a place. Beth, our good friend watches our house while we’re away and she came in Wednesday before Thanksgiving and found that my little pug had apparently died in his sleep during the night. For some, it’s just a dog … but for me … he was truly ‘man’s best friend!”

There are years when life seems to throw a lot of curve balls at you and this has been one of them! But in all of that, there is one thing that I know for an absolute certainty … GOD is STILL GOD! THE gift of Christmas … Immanuel … still means “God With Us” … and He is.

Through the miles, our love and best wishes extends to each of you and our prayers for a wonderful 2009.

Through Christ … “Merry Christmas,”

Todd, Denise, Caitlyn and Chris

No comments: