Saturday, October 24, 2009

Just an observation ...

I was looking through the local newspaper the other day (which for those who don't live where I live ... it doesn't take too long!) Anyway, I noticed all of the announcements for the upcoming "holiday" on October 31. I found it quite interesting the "wording" of our "Christian" versions of the day. It is as though we do not want to be considered heretical if we refer to October 31 as ... dare I say it ... Halloween. (inserting pause as you gasp in horror)

PAUSE

There ... are you back with me. You see, what intrigued me was this ... perhaps for the first time I recognized the irony of what WE do all the time ... "we" being "Christians." We chastize, criticize, demoralize, demonize, and ultimate polarize any and all who would take Christmas or Easter and illegitamize their names with things like "Winter Festival" or "Spring Holiday." We rail against corporations who would dare threaten their employees to say "Happy Holiday's" instead of "Merry Christmas." But yet, we, not wanting to appear in any form Satanic will legitimatize our own "Halloween" celebrations with a term like ... "Fall Festival."

It's just an observation ... but don't we sometimes get so caught up in the semantics that we miss the opportunity? Don't we sometimes miss the "forest through the trees?" Go ahead, call it a "fall festival" if it makes you feel better ... but for me, I'll still wish you a "Happy Halloween."

Oh ... and just in case you're wondering ... YES ... I will wish you a "Merry CHRISTmas" even if you offer me a "Happy Holidays." And hopefully, somewhere along the way ... I'll earn the opportunity through my relationship with you to share The One to whom we all owe our life to ... The One Who I call "Lord and Savior." For it is only through His Grace and Mercy that I write ...

No comments: