Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Ranger



This is Ranger! He and I became acquainted for about an hour today. He is a beautiful friend and is quite knowledgeable of his job. He along with several of his friends shared their "expertise" with my family and I through the woods of the Franklin D. Roosevelt State Park. It was a beautiful day for a ride and the guides that accompanied us/led us through the oft-trod terrain were quite engaging. Chris had a pony that was just the perfect size for him. His cousin Julia an equally appropriate steed. As for the other two cousins, Caitlyn and Kathleen, their mounts were beautiful animals that were quite patient with them. As for Uncle John, Grandpa, and myself -- well, let's just say that Douglas Fairbanks, John Wayne and James Arness never looked so good atop their trusty stallions!!

I did find one thing particularly interesting. Our guide told us the basics of our horses, how to turn and of course, how to stop. What to do if they began to trot a little faster than we were comfortable ... and how to speed them up if we needed to catch up. Mainly, though, they encouraged us to stay on the path, particularly in a couple of narrow spots. I guess what was interesting was that the horses have been down these paths so often, they could probably do it in their sleep ... I think mine was!!! At times, no matter how much pulling I did on the reins, Ranger just wouldn't turn - even though it meant I might rub my leg against a tree or have to use one hand to bat the branch out of the way. I was simply trying to steer him in a more unobstructed direction.

People are like that from time to time as well. They have walked the same path for so long, that no matter how hard you pull on their reins, they just won't move from one side to another. We might say, they are set in their ways. How unfortunate! I mean, the smoother path ... the path with less obstacles ... the path that has fewer rocks ... could be just a step or two over ... if they would only heed the reins.

Well, I hope you have a very Blessed Thanksgiving. Give thanks, with a grateful heart ... give thanks to the Holy One ... Give thanks, because He's given ... Jesus Christ, His Son.

Until next time ...
... I'm off with Ranger!!

Pastor Todd

No comments: